Хотел Студио Hotel Studio Хотел Студио Hotel Studio

Recomendation



The “Holy Forty Martyrs” Church

The “Holy Forty Martyrs” Church

The “Holy Forty Martyrs” church is the most famous medieval monument in Veliko Tarnovo. It was built and painted with frescoes by the Bulgarian ruler Ivan Assen II to honour the victory of the Bulgarians against the armies of the Epirian despot, Teodor Komnin, near Klokotnica on 22nd March, 1230. In the “Holy Forty Martyrs” church are some of the most important historical records including Omurtag’s column, Assen’s column, the border column from the stronghold Rodosto dating back to the reign of Khan Krum. Kaloyan’s excavation in October 1972 provoked huge interest in the church.

1 [2]